Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spinach Penne Rigate



I can't believe that it is April! I am not sure what happened to March and my lack of cooking/posting but I will try to do better in April.

I wanted an easy dish using spinach that I could fix in my crock pot. While I love the spinach lasagna, I never could get the noodles to fit without having to break them into smaller pieces. So I decide to experiment...this could be dangerous! Below is a recipe for my concoction. I served this dish with a simple salad and french bread. My family thought it was a keeper so I hope you enjoy it.


Ingredients
1 45oz Ragu or similar pasta sauce
1 16oz Box Penne Rigate Pasta
1 16oz Small Curd Cottage Cheese
1 8oz Mozzarella Cheese
11oz Container Baby Spinach (I used 3/4 of the container.)

First cook the box of pasta according to directions. I ended up only cooking the pasta 10 minutes since it would cook more in the slow cooker. Drain pasta and cool. Pour pasta back into pot and add cottage cheese. Mix and add 2/3 of the cheese. Mix and set aside.

Layer as follows:
One cup of sauce.
Spinach Leaves (enough to cover sauce).
One cup of sauce.
Half of pasta mixture.
One cup of sauce.
Spinach Leaves.
One cup of sauce.
Rest of pasta mixture.
Rest of sauce.
Cover with remaining cheese.

Cook on high for three hours or until done.


Enjoy!
Carolina Belle

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I'm gonna try it! (gluten free version, of course!) :) Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been on a spinach kick lately and can't seem to get enough. Hope you like it. All my crew did.

    ReplyDelete